A NEW HRNSW policy for two-year-olds has been announced and will take effect from the commencement of the 2016/17 season.
The policy was developed through a series of submissions and consultative electronic surveys to enhance, strengthen and guarantee the racing opportunities of two-year-old pacers in NSW.
Submissions were received from industry stakeholders in July and October last year culminating in an electronic survey in January. To read the new policy in full click here.
HRNSW Chief Executive John Dumesny stated a lot of work and time had gone into the formation of the strategy and it will provide assurance to the industry.
“The Board and Management of HRNSW believe the policy provides a degree of certainty for connections and also takes into consideration the longevity of a horse’s racing career,” Dumesny said.
“There is the distinct possibility that breeders and owners will have improved opportunities to collect bonuses in NSW which have the notional value of $6,000 for a two-year-old maiden win. Certainty for two-year-old fillies will be provided also.”
Under the policy two-year-old races will commence on January 1 and end on the August 31 each year. This will now be known as the Two-Year-Old Racing Season. A schedule of all two-year-old races programmed during the Two-Year-Old Racing Season will be released by HRNSW in October, preceding the commencement of the season.
- The schedule will take into consideration established Feature and Futurity Races and will focus on NSW Breeders Challenge eligible horses.
- The schedule will be regional based.
- The schedule will create race opportunities for fillies on a regional basis.
- The schedule will not include two-year-old races for prize money below $5,000.Therefore two-year-old races will not be programmed at NON-TAB or Graduation Penalty (R) meetings. The schedule will only be amended by HRNSW taking into consideration imperative industry requirements.
- Race conditions will be released in accordance with standard HRNSW practices.
- Scheduled two-year-old races will be guaranteed at the value of HRNSW funding if there is a minimum six (6) pacers nominated when the original nominations close.
- The maximum field size for all two-year-old events will be ten (10); however two (2) emergencies will be drawn into all Finals and Group events.
- Two-year-old pacers can be nominated in 3YO and upwards races by choice of connections with an advantage in the barrier draw however will be limited to one lifetime win only under this concession.
- Two-year-old pacers will not be permitted to start in races conducted in NSW prior to January 1.
- HRNSW Media